Boat Insurance – FAQs

Manufacturer of the product is: MAPFRE Middlesea

MAPFRE Middlesea p.l.c. (C-5553) is authorised by the Malta Financial Services Authority (MFSA) to carry on both Long Term and General Business under the Insurance Business Act. MAPFRE Middlesea p.l.c. is regulated by the MFSA.

Am I legally required to insure my boat?
The law states that any mechanically driven small ship having an engine exceeding 9.9 H.P. requires cover for third party liability.
What types of vessels are covered?
Our standard policy covers vessels used for private and pleasure purposes only.
How should I calculate the sum insured?
The sum insured should represent the actual market value of the entire boat including hull and machinery, engine/s, outboard engine of tender, dinghy/tender, any special equipment, trailer, personal effects and other items forming part of the boat.
Is the boat covered while it is being transported?
If the boat is insured on a comprehensive basis then accidental damage to boat is also covered whilst the boat is being transported.
What should I do in case I need to lodge a claim?
Remember that any theft, loss or damage and injuries should be immediately reported to the police. You can then contact our offices to notify us of your claim.
Do I need to inform you in case of a change of the berthing location?
Yes, any changes which take place relating to the boat should be communicated to us immediately.

Head Office & Regional Offices